Re: lt_dlopen fails on AIX

From: Michael Haubenwallner
Subject: Re: lt_dlopen fails on AIX
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:50:21 +0200

On 08/30/12 15:29, Perry Smith wrote:
>  ... that you can have 32 bit objects (shared or not shared) and 64 bit
> objects
>  in the same archive ...
>  You can do similar tricks with  executables and loadable kernel extensions.

Offtopic: How does this work with executables?

> Of topic slightly but… there are a ton of magic features that are available
> for
>  selecting and loading libraries which the open source community doesn't grok
>  because "its not like Linux". I'm not 100% sure but from my perspective it
>  appears that whatever the .la file does is mostly built into ld and the
> loader
>  in AIX. The .la files in AIX are not needed.

> I don't know what "ltdl" is

"ltdl", provided by libtool, is a wrapper library around dlopen, ought to
provide
/one/ API to dynamically load modules on /any/ platform (that libtool supports).
It does read the .la file, to know how to load the module created by libtool,
and uses a few fallbacks when there is no .la file for the requested module.

> On that topic, the "prefix" set of tools (...) has been ported to AIX.

http://prefix.gentoo.org/

Indeed: Gentoo Prefix on AIX forces runtime-linking on, and because of that,
it can use a working variant of filename-based shared library versioning.

Unfortunately, Gentoo Prefix may not bootstrap on AIX right now because of
myself
slacking due to workwork load...

/haubi/