Re: no .pc file

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: no .pc file
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:19:04 +0100

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:07:50 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:

> As one of the people looking after the Yocto Project (which includes an
> build system targeted at embedded devices), I have to say I see less
> problems with pkg-config than with libtool and I'm once again being
> asked to remove all .la files as a policy decision due to them causing
> more problems than they seem to solve in a cross environment :(. I'm
> running out of arguments against this, not least as I couldn't get any
> response to the libtool sysroot problems I reported a while back.

As one of the developers behind the Buildroot project, an embedded
Linux build system, I can only confirm the statements of Richard.
pkg-config works extremely well in cross-environments and solves
the library discovery problem in a nice, clean and efficient way, while
libtool .la file ands the inability of libtool to understand what a
sysroot have been dramatically annoying.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons