Passing Dynamic Linking Flags?

From: Leek, Jim
Subject: Passing Dynamic Linking Flags?
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 22:15:36 +0000

I'm using libtool 2.4.2 on IBM's BG/Q platform with the xlC compiler.  In general it is working fairly well, but I have one issue.  Unlike most Linux systems, on BG/Q static linking is the default, and in order to link an executable dynamically you must pass the flags: -qnostaticlink -qnostaticlink=libgcc

So, the library builds both statically and dynamically just fine, but when I try to build the test binary, libtool does not pass those two flags, so the binary build fails.  If I copy the build line and add the two flags, the binary links dynamically.

How can I get libtool to pass those flags only when I want to build the binary dynamically?  So far I've only found the place where I can put flags to make libtool build the binary statically.

Thanks,
Jim