Re: [sr #108201] libtool problems with -export-symbols-regex on solaris

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [sr #108201] libtool problems with -export-symbols-regex on solaris with gcc-4.7.x
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:43:08 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Dennis Clarke wrote:

Follow-up Comment #2, sr #108201 (project libtool):

I notice that the error message mentions the program name 'sed' rather
than
'gsed'.  Perhaps two different sed programs are being used?  It seems
likely
that the 'sed' which failed is Solaris 'sed' rather than GNU 'sed'.

Is there a valid reason why a POSIX compliant ( POSIX.2, POSIX.2a, SUS, SUSv2,
XPG4  ) sed can not be used ?

This is (i.e. should be) intended to work. However, what we seem to be seeing is that the sed intentionally selected for use ('gsed') was not always consistently used. In a few cases bare 'sed' was used from Richard's PATH (which does not include /usr/xpg4/bin) and this 'sed' failed.

It seems that Richard started down one path (-export-symbols-regex did not work as expected) but now he is on a new path (sed failure).

There are several Solaris-related patches which were posted to the libtool list which have not yet been applied. The libtool project is considerably behind at evaluating and applying patches. I don't think that any of the patches are for -export-symbols-regex or sed though.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn