[sr #108201] libtool problems with -export-symbols-regex on solaris with

From: Richard PALO
Subject: [sr #108201] libtool problems with -export-symbols-regex on solaris with gcc-4.7.x
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:57:00 +0000

Follow-up Comment #19, sr #108201 (project libtool):

Well, I can certainly understand your reluctance to spend much more time on
this, as I never really intended myself to do more than suggest a patch that
fixes a libtool bug on solaris with gcc and solaris ld.

Adding the test functionality is more or less a moral responsability when
suggesting the bugfix.  Unfortunately, being an indirect libtool user and not
a developer, I cannot do more than demonstrate the additional problem.

The testsuite problems in master (see comment #1) enticed me to focus on the
version I'm testing in pkgsrc, namely in test v2.4.2 and in stable 2.2.6b).

BTW, perhaps it is buried in the comments below, but at least on the solaris
platform, "-no-undefined" is by default, because if I change LDFLAGS to
"-Wl,-z -Wl,defs" or "-Wl,--no-undefined" I get a warning that the option
specified is a duplicate.

I do feel that the patch is warranted on 2.4.2 (perhaps generating patch
release v2.4.2a or v2.4.3) and also in the master, so I will submit another
patch, as Bob indicated, for the master and consider the 2.4.2 patch as a
backport.

As the elements are provided to include the missing test functionality in
export.at, I will leave that to the release team given the massive
reoganisation of the sources, the tests will certainly need some generally
updating.  The case here is a good example...

I noticed in the document README-release that prior to releasing that

    make distcheck CC=g++

should be executed.

I believe that

  make check-local CC=g++

should also be executed and when it works, that is with a recent gcc (4.7.x),
then the libtool and the testsuite are ready for release on a Linux/unix
platform.

Cheers

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108201>

  Message posté via/par Savannah