[sr #108201] libtool problems with -export-symbols-regex on solaris with

From: Richard PALO
Subject: [sr #108201] libtool problems with -export-symbols-regex on solaris with gcc-4.7.x
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 06:21:47 +0000

Follow-up Comment #25, sr #108201 (project libtool):

These are good arguments, I offer as well some observations and/or arguments
before I sign off...

1. I thought about that last night, that *was* the advantage of elfdump, but
not all ELF systems have elfdump and objdump is used instead! Perhaps the
libtool system could put the mechanisms in place to indicate via the --config
command that the "target" platform is ELF in order to better instrument the
test case.

2. I initially wanted to use "soname_spec", but there were too many fields
missing and I couldn't seem to get it right.  Now I see that
'shrext_cmds=".so"' is in config so perhaps that could be used to generate the
file extension.
something like  '$objdir/liba$shrext_cmds'

3. I believe absence of a shared file being generated (on an ELF platform)
would be already a sign of a test failure!

4. The objdump chosen by libtools configure should be for the target... I
didn't check, but that *is* already the responsability of the build
environment.

Regarding "zapping of $LDFLAGS", I compared this case (GXX) with the GCC case,
and indeed GXX seemed again in error, justifying your remarks.  Here is an
extract from GCC for comparison:

    solaris*)
      _LT_TAGVAR(no_undefined_flag, $1)=' -z defs'
      if test yes = "$GCC"; then
        wlarc='$wl'
        _LT_TAGVAR(archive_cmds, $1)='$CC -shared $pic_flag $wl-z ${wl}text
$wl-h $wl$soname -o $lib $libobjs $deplibs $compiler_flags'
        _LT_TAGVAR(archive_expsym_cmds, $1)='echo "{ global:" > $lib.exp~cat
$export_symbols | $SED -e "s/(.*)/1;/" >> $lib.exp~echo "local: *; };" >>
$lib.exp~
          $CC -shared $pic_flag $wl-z ${wl}text $wl-M $wl$lib.exp $wl-h
$wl$soname -o $lib $libobjs $deplibs $compiler_flags~$RM $lib.exp'
      else

I don't believe Green Hills C++ code path is touched here, the patch I
submitted touches only Gnu CXX with solaris ld.

To summarize, I believe the libtool.m4 code patch should move ahead, but I
agree that the libtool testsuite could be (globally) improved to deal with
shared libraries on the different plastforms.

By the way, given pkgsrc is preparing for 2012Q4, it is urgent to release a
patched kit.

I've attached the combined diff upon libtool.m4

cheers

(file #27123)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: libtool.m4.git-diff            Size:2 KB

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108201>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/