Re: Re-ordering of libraries by libtool.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Re-ordering of libraries by libtool.
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:50:32 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Richard Shann wrote:

In the GNU/Denemo project we are trying to cross-build a for windows on
Debian stable using static libraries. The libtool step is re-ordering
the libraries before invoking the linker, and so it fails.
The cross-environment has version 2.22 of GNU/Binutils, but I am not
clear where the actual libtool is coming from - the host libtool is
version 2.26b.

It is not wise to use such an archaic libtool. You can determine which version is actually used by doing './libtool --version' in the build tree.

I can't find online documentation for this version, and even in the
latest version there is almost no mention of libtool re-ordering the
directories as given. I noticed one previous email on this topic, which
received no responses. Can someone help?

If any libraries have .la files, then this cause libtool to inject library dependencies (additional needed libraries) into the build, which may have the apparent effect of re-ordering.

Regardless, you should be using libtool 2.4.2. Libtool 2.2.6b is a a security-patched version of libtool 2.2.6a, which was released in 2008.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn