Re: Using LTO with libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Using LTO with libtool
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 10:54:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 5 May 2013, Schrober wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to use link-time optimization (LTO/-flto) of GCC with libtool. I
thought I only have to add "-flto" to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS and then I am
finished. But it seems that this is not enough because some CFLAGS aren't
copied to the linker command (e.g. -g). This results in a binary with missing
information. Is there a differrent "correct" way to use libtool (through
automake) with LTO?

Have you tried configuring with something like 'CC=gcc -flto -g'?

While being evil, this seems likely to work if CC is used as the linker.

I would agree that -flto is often not easy to use. While libtool does not block use of -flto, I don't think it provides any special support for it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn