Re: Fwd: Fwd: android support

From: Brooks Moses
Subject: Re: Fwd: Fwd: android support
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:05:17 -0700

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM, David Turner <address@hidden> wrote:
> For the record, I've kept the $release to keep the structure similar to the
> glibc one. I admit I don't really know what that corresponds to, but I could
> successfully build working shared libraries for a few projects with my
> patch. Good enough for me.

The $release variable gets set by the -release option; see:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Link-mode.html#Link-mode

That  defines the option as "Specify that the library was generated by
release release of your package, so that users can easily tell which
versions are newer than others. Be warned that no two releases of your
package will be binary compatible if you use this flag."  Given that,
I agree it makes sense to use it in the name as in Linux, though as
far as I can tell it seems pretty rarely used.

> Also, in case you're interested, I've an updated patch that also prevents
> adding a DT_RUNPATH in the .dynamic section (the Android system linker
> doesn't support it). This is purely cosmetic though, the initial patch is ok
> too. Just let me know if you want the update.

Might as well put in the most recent version while I'm doing it!

- Brooks