Re: Interface range compatibility?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Interface range compatibility?
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 07:50:12 +0200

() Phillip Susi <address@hidden>
() Fri, 04 Oct 2013 09:23:34 -0400

   Ahh, I was thinking that you could use the age for a
   transitional period of having the library support both the old
   and new interface, but I guess it's use is more for indicating
   support for new, augmented features, on top of the same old base
   interface.

The libtool versioning semantics can be somewhat confusing to the
newly exposed (speaking from experience :-D).  I think it would be
cool if libtool included a small program libtool-vu ("vu" stands
for "versioning utility") that would...

   In other words, you increment it when adding to the interface in
   a backward compatible way.

...check this invariant and other constraints, or perhaps could be
run interactively to query the user, following the algorithm at:

 (info "(libtool) Updating version info")

and spit out the Right Answer (to stdout).  Over time, the user
could gain the habit of asking/answering those questions w/o the
help of the program, but even if not, what are computers for, but
to do these fiddly calculations for us?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502