Re: pgcc -V: 'Portland Group' vs. 'NVIDIA CORPERATION'

From: Christian Rössel
Subject: Re: pgcc -V: 'Portland Group' vs. 'NVIDIA CORPERATION'
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:12:01 +0200

Brooks,

On 10/10/2013 01:14 AM, Brooks Moses wrote:
On 09/17/2013 02:09 AM, Christian Rössel wrote:
with pgcc/pgCC/pgf* version 13.8 you changed the output of 'pgcc -V' from

pgcc 13.4-0 64-bit target on Linux -tp penryn
Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2000-2013, STMicroelectronics, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

pgcc 13.8-0 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux -tp penryn
Copyright (c) 2013, NVIDIA CORPORATION.  All rights reserved.

Unfortunately, if pgcc/pgCC/pgf* is used via a wrapper, for example as a
MPI compiler wrapper, your change breaks autotools-based shared builds.
[...]
I don't know about your copyright notice policy at NVIDIA, but you would
help users if you would mention the previous copyright holders in 'pgcc
-V' as well, e.g.,

FWIW, this mention does not need to be a copyright notice; it simply
needs to be some text in the first 5 lines of the "pgcc -V" output that
matches the "*Portland\ Group*" pattern.

In any case, Christian, if you can provide a reasonably obvious libtool
patch to handle "NVIDIA CORPORATION", I can at least review it and get
it committed to trunk ... though, given the sample output you list, I
wonder if it would be better to just match 'pgcc\ [0-9].*' or something
like that.  If we match "NVIDIA CORPORATION", it is likely to match
other NVIDIA compilers (e.g., CUDA?) as well as having this issue again
if they decide to change their capitalization or sell the compiler to
another party.

please find attached a patch comparing compiler names instead of vendor names.

Thanks,
Christian

Thanks,
- Brooks