Re: Using libtool via autotools causes linking problem on mingw

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: Re: Using libtool via autotools causes linking problem on mingw
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:18:42 +0100

2013/11/8 Peter Rosin <address@hidden>
The SDL library, for some obscure reason, has its own special take on that and
prescribes that you should keep using main() even if you are doing a GUI app.
I think the SDLmain library contains the real address@hidden entry point and that
entry point in turn calls the application main function. Or I should perhaps
say SDL_main (see that -Dmain=SDL_main define above). Some part of this
fragile SDL crap fails. I don't know what.

Perhaps the SDL_main library was compiled to expect an ordinary main entry
point instead of the GUI address@hidden version?

Just to be clear, I'm not an SDL user. This is just my understanding of this.
The above description might very well be flawed in some way, but SDL
initialization is peculiar.

I can later try to add some of the options from the libtool invocation generated
by autoconf to my invocation of gcc to see which particular option causes the
failure and then let you know. I think that your description of the way SDL does
things on mingw is sound (and I think that the goal is to ensure portability, as
unix programmers have no idea what the WinMain is)

Regards.
M.