Convenience libraries without -fPIC

From: tsuna
Subject: Convenience libraries without -fPIC
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:27:55 -0700

Hi there,
I couldn't find the answer to this question online, in the manual, or
the ML, so I'm asking here: I have a bin_PROGRAMS containing various
translation units with code I want to unit test.  In order to unit
test code I created a noinst_LTLIBRARY containing most of the code of
my program.  One undesirable side effect of this is that the code is
now built with -fPIC -DPIC, even if I pass -static or -all-static to
libtool for my noinst_LTLIBRARY.

If I know all the .lo's will never go into a shared library, is there
a way to convince libtool to not build position independent code for
my convenience library?

Thanks.

PS: Using a slightly version of libtool here, 2.2.10, in case this
matters.  With Automake 1.14 and Autoconf 2.66.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure