Re: can't find ceil function in math library

From: Ingo Krabbe
Subject: Re: can't find ceil function in math library
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 14:01:59 +0200

Actually it makes not much sense to ask about why autoconf a/o libtool does
this or that, as the tools themselves are coded beyond understanding or
readability. They just do on some systems what they are expected to do.

Of course AC_CHECK_LIB([m],[main]), shouldn't return true as main is no member
of libm. On the other hand AC_CHECK_LIB or other AC macros aren't meant to be
tested against transzendental usage and it should be quite clear by definition
that main is not part of the true set of AC_CHECK_LIB([x],main) ∀ (x,main). If
this returns true its just a trivial true signal, that is to expensive and
transzendental to get blocked.