Trying to get libtool not to add -rpath, since libs are only in a stagin

From: Filipe Brandenburger
Subject: Trying to get libtool not to add -rpath, since libs are only in a staging directory
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:33:29 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to link binaries to libraries that are not installed on the
system, but just unpacked to a "staging" directory.

Consider this (real) example:

1) Build expat with "--libdir=/usr/lib/${platform}"
2) Install expat with "make install DESTDIR=${stagedir}"
3) Configure dbus with "-L${stagedir}/usr/lib/${platform}" where it
will find expat now, and "-rpath /usr/lib/${platform}" where it will
find expat at real runtime when both are installed.
4) Build expat

The problem is that ${stagedir} is leaking and the resulting
dbus-daemon gets both /usr/lib/${platform} and
${stagedir}/usr/lib/${platform} added to it...

I tried working around it by passing --with-sysroot=${stagedir} to the
dbus configure, but unfortunately that didn't work...

Do you have a suggestion of something I could do to accomplish what
I'm trying to accomplish?

Is this a libtool bug?

Any suggestions of workarounds?

(I also filed a bug at