Re: configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:06:49 +0100

>>  [...]
>
>>  Why is <insert any configure script> searching for <xyzzy> on
>
>>  platform <gazonk> when <xyzzy> isn't available there?
>>      <pause>
>>  Because it's the autoconf way! It's not a bug.
>>  [...]

One more thing I just realised: that spurious warning renders the original
warning message inoperative:

  configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

The reason is, that warning message is issued only once. If it is always
generated for the manifest tool, it will not come up again for any other tool
where that warning would have really helped. I don't think anybody is going to
bother implementing the work-arounds you mentioned, so that warning has lost
its effectiveness in practice.

And another thing I just saw: libtools does find some "mt" tool on my system,
but is actually "mt - control magnetic tape drive operation". That is
unfortunate. I wonder who decided to call Windows' manifest tool "mt". Maybe
autoconf/libtool should check whether that tool is actually usuable as a
manifest tool, like it does with the C compiler, before deciding that some 'mt'
tool it found is valid.

Regards,
  rdiez