Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:02:42 +0000

Hi Richard,

> I'd like to see two patches committed:
>
> 1. the attached SunOS g++ shared library patch, in pkgsrc, has been
> tested and running in production here since over half a year, and I
> understand Joyent is using it in their local branch.
>
> 2 I vote that the '-fstack-protector*' patch be committed as well
> (attached). This has been somewhat discussed in the thread labelled
> (and notably dating from 02/06/2010):
>> Re: Bug: linking shared libraries on Cygwin results in undefined
>> references to __stack_chck_guard for code compiled with
>> -fstack-protector
> In particular, passing through '-fstack-protector*' is where n°1
> really makes a difference.

Thanks for the patches.

I merged the second into the tree before release.

Unfortunately, without some more background explanation regarding the
reason why the patch is necessary, what it fixes, and the rationale
thereof (and a ChangeLog entry or similar) I couldn't evaluate the purpose
or potential side-effects of the first patch.  If you could provide those,
I'll certainly make the time to evaluate, and maybe apply if all is well...

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)