Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 10:42:00 +0000

[[Added back Cc: libtool-list]]

> On Nov 1, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Richard PALO <address@hidden> wrote:

> Le 27/10/14 23:02, Gary V. Vaughan a écrit :
> | Hi Richard,
> |
> |> I'd like to see two patches committed:
> |>
> |> 1. the attached SunOS g++ shared library patch, in pkgsrc, has
> |> been tested and running in production here since over half a
> |> year, and I understand Joyent is using it in their local branch.
> |
> | Unfortunately, without some more background explanation regarding
> | the reason why the patch is necessary, what it fixes, and the
> | rationale thereof (and a ChangeLog entry or similar) I couldn't
> | evaluate the purpose or potential side-effects of the first patch.
> | If you could provide those, I'll certainly make the time to
> | evaluate, and maybe apply if all is well...
> |
> | Cheers,
>
> Missed your message somehow. Sorry.

No problem, we still have about a week to untangle things before 2.4.4.

> This patch snippet is a portion of Peter Rosin's 'g++ and -nostdlib'
> patch for SunOS.
>
> It removes '-nostdlib" from the g++ shared build line and, to avoid
> duplicate symbols, it doesn't explicitly include '$predep_objects' and
> '$postdep_objects'.
>
> With this patch, g++ shared libraries build like gcc shared libraries,
> albeit without '-Wl,z text'...
>
> This allows finally, for this particular example, that the various
> '-fstack-protector*' specs build with g++ on SunOS needing:
> | *link_ssp:
> |
> %{fstack-protector|fstack-protector-strong|fstack-protector-all:-lssp_nonshared
> | -lssp}

Sorry I didn't word my original reply more carefully.  The stack-protector
patch was a no-brainer, and as such is included in 2.4.3 already.

Could you explain the other one of the two attachments you sent originally,
as I don't have a rationale nor understanding of that one sufficient to make
me apply it yet :)

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)