Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 21:04:25 +0000

Hi Peter,

> On Nov 2, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 2014-11-02 11:42, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I didn't word my original reply more carefully.  The stack-protector
>> patch was a no-brainer, and as such is included in 2.4.3 already.
>>
>> Could you explain the other one of the two attachments you sent originally,
>> as I don't have a rationale nor understanding of that one sufficient to make
>> me apply it yet :)
>
> That patch appears to be a small part of [1]. There is more info in that
> thread, with references to bug reports etc, if you haven't found that already.

Okay, that explains my confusion!

> Note that the patch was mainly written to spur discussion. I am not ready to
> push the whole thing without writing further tests, as indicated in that
> thread. I would also be reluctant to pick out one platform and do the change
> there, since any regression will likely be present on all platforms.
>
> In short, noone knows the full effects [1]. Sure, it helps for certain cases,
> but are there any regressions? Tests needed.

Right, and strongly agreed.  I won't include the proposed changes in the
upcoming 2.4.4 given that extra info.  The last thing I want to do is
destabilize anything given the lack of available manpower to pick up the
pieces if it goes horribly wrong!

> Sadly, I have very limited time to spend on Libtool at the moment...

Likewise.... and I'm pushing 2.4.3 closely followed by 2.4.4 now, because I'm
anticipating having even less time for libtool in the near future :-(

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)