Re: at least autoconf-2.70 to rebootstrap

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: at least autoconf-2.70 to rebootstrap
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:02:44 +0000

Hi Christoph,

On 12 Nov 2014, at 20:15, Christoph GrĂ¼ninger <address@hidden> wrote:
> in the release notes of libtool 2.4.3 you wrote:
>
>> The libtoolize program now advises use of the new Autoconf
>> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS declaration. If you follow that advice, all
>> your developers will need at least autoconf-2.70 and automake-1.13
>> to rebootstrap your probject
>
> Do you really require autoconf-2.70? It is not yet released and there
> is no plan for a release in the near future, as far as I know.

Yes, that's right.

When I wrote that (a few years ago) the Dev versions of Libtool, Automake and
Autoconf collaborated on support for multiple macro directories. It won't work
out of the box until all of the pieces are in released versions, though we're
only
waiting on Autoconf now that Libtool has finally revved.

The release notes also show a workaround if you  want to use (plural!)
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS now, without depending on an unreleased Autoconf
build to bootstrap.

Or, in the common case, you may only need a single macro directory anyway,
in which case (singular) AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR continues to work just fine :-)

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)