Re: Tune rpath by env. variable

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Tune rpath by env. variable
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 19:38:53 +0000

> On Dec 9, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Pavel Raiskup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday 09 of December 2014 11:53:22 Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>>> That makes sense.  Ideally, we could make the variable ./configure time
>>> sensitive and also sensitive to environment.  Something like
>>> : ${LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH="/configure/time/detected/LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH"}?
>>
>> Great. The only wrinkle I can see here is that we need the function for
>> injecting lt_cv_sys_dlsearch_path into the dangling colon in the runtime
>> LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH shared between libtool.m4 and ltmain.in.
>> I haven't double checked, but I'm certain we have functions that are
>> shared like this without duplicated code already we can copy from.
>
> Ouch, thats quite complicated.
>
> If you think about new LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH like its just something which
> enhances 'sys_dlsearch_path_spec', then that code-share should not be
> necessary?  There would be two coexisting variables - and only libtool
> binary (ltmain.sh) should be able to deal with that.  LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH
> could be just overwritten at libtool time if defined in environment.  But
> all that dependencies are quite confusing so I can be wrong..

Hmmm... I think you're right.

> .. however, maybe you think that quite problematic the share with ltdl.m4
> (via sys_lib_dlsearch_path).  That is ?clearly? configure-time only
> variable which generates variable LT_DLSEARCH_PATH in c-header file.

We will probably need to promote the macros required to support that to
libtool.m4 now that we care about setting sys_dlsearch_path_spec, without
requiring every package to use ltdl.m4.

> In this case, using LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime would differentiate
> LT_DLSEARCH_PATH with libtool's 'sys_dlsearch_path_spec' ... and could
> cause confusion later.

It's a lot of variables, but technically it seems sound to me.

> Hmm, due to its requirments, it seems like LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH should be
> AC_ARG_VAR-ed.  The system-wide libtool should be pre-configured correctly
> according to system's needs anyway.  WDYT?

I think it would be easier to have both installed and in-tree libtool
respect LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH, otherwise we have to edit the installed script
to take out the substitution code.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)