Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:30:16 +0000

Hi Peter,

> On Feb 6, 2015, at 9:22 AM, Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-02-04 15:48, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>> On Wed, 4 Feb 2015, Robert Yang wrote:
>>>
>>> When reporting a bug, please describe a test case to reproduce it and
>>> include the following information:
>>>
>>>      host-triplet:   $host
>>>      shell:          $SHELL
>>>      compiler:       $LTCC
>>>      compiler flags: $LTCFLAGS
>>>      linker:         $LD (gnu? $with_gnu_ld)
>>>      version:        $progname (GNU libtool) 2.4.5
>>>      automake:       `($AUTOMAKE --version) 2>/dev/null |$SED 1q`
>>>      autoconf:       `($AUTOCONF --version) 2>/dev/null |$SED 1q`
>>
>> Perhaps libtool is accidentially executing 'automake --version' and
>> 'autoconf --version' every time it is executed?  That would certainly lead
>> to a huge slowdown.
>
> That's it of course, how else could the variable be assigned?

Only when --version is being serviced.

> But is it even useful information? I would expect that the autofoo
> versions *at the time the package was created* is what matters?

The information is useful in bug reports, and our instructions for reporting a
bug to the list explicitly ask for the output from `libtool --version` which by
including their other autotool versions makes reproducing the reporters
environment a lot easier :-)

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)