Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 08:46:18 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015, Robert Yang wrote:

On 02/06/2015 12:12 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
I am not seeing quite the difference between libtool releases that you are
although I see a big slowdown starting with 2.4.3.  These timings are for
optimized builds of GraphicsMagick on a 12-core GNU/Linux system using -j 12:

I think that we can't see obviously slowdown by "make -jN",
but "make -j1" will. And bash is much slower than dash, I'm trying to
figure out why.

It seems like this issue is already corrected in the source tree but you are correct that the issue is much more apparent with -j1.

Optimized:

  2.4.2 : 3:43.43
  2.4.5 : 4:33.11

Non-Optimized:

  2.4.2 : 1:21.21
  2.4.5 : 2:05.48

We need a test case which is executed before every major release to make sure that a performance regression has not been introduced.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn