how to make libtool link with static system libraries instead of dynamic

From: Andy Falanga (afalanga)
Subject: how to make libtool link with static system libraries instead of dynamic
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 23:24:36 +0000

I am wondering how I would make libtool link with static versions of already
installed libraries instead of the dynamic ones.  I have something like this in
Makefile.am

pyexec_LTLIBRARIES = mylib.la
mylib_la_LDFLAGS = -Wl,-Bstatic
mylib_la_LIBADD = -lz -lrt -lboost_python ....

The problem is, all of the -l options appear before the -Wl,-Bstatic.  This
means that the dynamic libraries are linked.  How do I make this happen?

Thanks,
Andy