Re: Running an uninstalled executable

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Running an uninstalled executable
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 09:42:32 -0400

On 2015-05-12 12:00 +0200, Alberto Luaces wrote:
> David <address@hidden> writes:
> > El Tue, 12 May 2015 11:38:42 +0200
> > Alberto Luaces <address@hidden> escribió:
[...]
> >> libtool --mode=execute program_binary
> >>
> >> but it fails, since there are undefined references to shared libraries
> >> not installed in standard directories.
> >>
> >> Can libtool solve this problem for me?

Yes, libtool can solve this problem!

> > In order to use libraries not installed, but present in another
> > directory (non standard), you have to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/695530/why-do-i-have-to-define-ld-library-path-with-an-export-every-time-i-run-my-appli
> >
> > Something like: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/your/custom/library libtool
> > --mode=execute program_binary
[...]
> Thanks, David. I was hoping that libtool set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for me.

If the libraries you are linking against are libtool libraries
(.la), and they are correctly installed, then libtool should be
automatically setting the runtime path appropriately.  That way,
the libraries will be picked up automatically from the nonstandard
location.

Otherwise, you might consider linking your programs with the
-R/path/to/your/libraries option.

There should be no need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, although it can
work in a pinch.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)