Re: cross-compiling with libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: cross-compiling with libtool
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 08:32:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 May 2015, Lane wrote:

That's what I don't understand. I do have a ranlib binary and it is named by the cross-tools environment that I've been given. For some reason it's not able to find it though when running make install and I don't know how that happens.

Are you running 'make install' as a different user than the user who did the build? If so, the PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or the ability to execute the binary may be different. Check the PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the permission bits on the executable. If this 'ranlib' is a script rather than a true binary (not uncommon for transplanted cross-tools), then check its first line to see if the shell it requests is valid and allows execution by that user.

Lastly, the toolchain binaries might be a different architecture than the native architecture for your machine. For example, they might be i386 and/or x86-64. If the user id, PATH, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, changes, perhaps this is causing binaries not to be runnable any more. I have seen cases before where binaries for a different architecture were treated as if they were not programs at all until the framework for the other architecture was installed on the system.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn