Re: modules have a soname?

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: modules have a soname?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 00:04:36 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Is this intentional, or should we start to track down how -Wl,-soname
> was added and treat that as a bug?  The manual says:

> '-avoid-version'
>      Tries to avoid versioning (*note Versioning::) for libraries and
>      modules, i.e. no version information is stored and no symbolic
>      links are created.  If the platform requires versioning, this
>      option has no effect.

> I don't know whether libtool regards the debian/gnu/linux/elf platform
> as requiring versioning or not.

Debian GNU/Linux definitely does not require versioning.

I think I was wrong in my original message and Libtool does always add the
SONAME, just not with a version.  I just checked one of my packages in
Debian (webauth, specifically libapache2-mod-webauth), and the modules
that it builds do actually have an SONAME.  However, dpkg-shlibdeps
doesn't care.  So maybe this is a problem in that tool where it should be
suppressing that error for your package as well?

You can see the build logs at:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=webauth&arch=amd64&ver=4.7.0-3%2Bb1&stamp=1446816432

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>