Re: Libtool does not generate shared libraries when cross compiling x86/

From: Harald Servat
Subject: Re: Libtool does not generate shared libraries when cross compiling x86/64 -> sparc64 using fujitsu compiler
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 14:30:30 +0100

On 02/02/2016 07:02 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 02 Feb 2016 17:51, Harald Servat wrote:
    we want to use libtool on a system on which we have to cross-compile
from intel x86/64 to sparc/64 using the Fujitsu compiler (fccpx).
Unfortunately, I'm unable to get libtool (version 2.4.2) to generate
shared libraries.

    I have written a very small libtool + autotools example and run the
following but I'm always getting the output shown below the commands.
Note, that the same works fine in a linux/x86-64 and I don't have to add
--enable-shared in that case, so I guess I don't need --enable-shared
either in these tests.

COMMANDS:

    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --host=x86_64
    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --host=x86-64 --target=sparc64
    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --host=x86_64
--target=sparc64-linux

your flags are incorrect.  you want --build=x86_64-linux-gnu and
--host=sparc64-linux-gnu.  please read this doc for more info:
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.69/html_node/Hosts-and-Cross_002dCompilation.html
-mike

Thank you for the pointer Mike.

  we have found that

./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=sparc64-linux-gnu

  did not work. See:

checking whether the fccpx linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf64_sparc) supports shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... cross
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no

However, the system support suggested to add the flag -Xg into the Fujitsu compiler and we found that the following configure did work.

./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --host=x86-linux CFLAGS="-Xg"

checking whether the fccpx linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... fccpx: warning: -print-search-dirs is unrecognized option. This option is passed to the linker.
usage: fccpx [options] files.
GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... cross

So that works for the small test example I generated. However, when passing the same flags to the application we want to build, then the libtool still claims it does not support shared libraries. So there are couple of questions then: any idea on why this larger case the addition of CFLAGS and --host does allow libtool to generate shared libraries? And, I don't have direct access to the system, but can I do something to improve the support on this system?

Best,

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer