Re: Libtool does not generate shared libraries when cross compiling x86/

From: Christian Rössel
Subject: Re: Libtool does not generate shared libraries when cross compiling x86/64 -> sparc64 using fujitsu compiler
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 15:08:29 +0100

On 2016-02-03 18:33, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 03 Feb 2016 14:30, Harald Servat wrote:
    we have found that

   ./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
--host=sparc64-linux-gnu

    did not work. See:

checking whether the fccpx linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf64_sparc) supports
shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... cross
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no

    However, the system support suggested to add the flag -Xg into the
Fujitsu compiler and we found that the following configure did work.

./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --host=x86-linux CFLAGS="-Xg"

checking whether the fccpx linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... fccpx: warning:
-print-search-dirs is unrecognized option. This option is passed to the
linker.
usage: fccpx [options] files.
GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... cross

    So that works for the small test example I generated. However, when
passing the same flags to the application we want to build, then the
libtool still claims it does not support shared libraries. So there are
couple of questions then: any idea on why this larger case the addition
of CFLAGS and --host does allow libtool to generate shared libraries?
And, I don't have direct access to the system, but can I do something to
improve the support on this system?

i don't know what "fccpx" is, but i'd guess that libtool just doesn't
understand how it works.  please attach the config.log file from that
run.

fccpx/fcc are the Fujitsu C compiler commands: "There are two types of compile commands, one is the cross compile command that is fccpx, and the other is the own compile command that is fcc."

I got in contact with them on Fujitsu supercomputer like K Computer and FX10 systems. With fccpx you cross-compile on a x86_64 login node for sparc64 compute nodes. fcc generates code for the x86_64 login node.

You are right, libtool doesn't understand neither fccpx nor fcc nor the C++ and Fortran variants. I talked to Fujitsu but they are not eager to contribute to libtool.

Christian

-mike