Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 08:38:16 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Peter Rosin wrote:

As for your point about non-trivial programs not working without
special treatment, there are a large body of packages that build just
fine using Cygwin on-top of Windows, without much in the way of special
treatment. Cygwin also suffers the from the cursed -no-undefined mess,

Many packages written in ANSI C and a smattering of POSIX are also able to build under MinGW using the MSYS shell successfully. At least that has been my experience.

Some Unix application developers do care about Windows and at least do some testing with Cygwin and MinGW.

I agree wholeheartedly with the notion that --disable-static should end
up in a failure and not somehow degrade to a static build anyway. I

Is this not the case? I have seen builds on Windows fail due to using --disable-static.

Libtool is not well optimized for Windows or even GNU Linux. Instead it provides a working generalized solution which is usually "good enough".

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn