Re[6]: MSW DLLs support in libtool

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[6]: MSW DLLs support in libtool
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:56:37 +0100

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:51:02 -0500 Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

NB> The default (on all platforms) is to create both static libraries and,
NB> when possible, shared libraries.

 This is not unreasonable (although not obviously the right thing to do
neither IMO), but I'm only speaking, since the beginning of this thread,
about the behaviour in LT_INIT(disable-static) case.

NB> If you explicitly request a shared library (i.e., call libtool in
NB> link mode with the -shared option), and it is not possible, you should
NB> receive an error.  If this is not happening, then this is probably a
NB> bug in libtool.

 Using the example posted in reply to another message:

% ./libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link i686-w64-mingw32-g++ -shared -g -O2 -o
libdlltest.la -rpath /usr/local/lib dlltest.lo
libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-w64-mingw32
shared libraries
libtool: link: rm -fr  .libs/libdlltest.a .libs/libdlltest.la
.libs/libdlltest.lai
libtool: link: i686-w64-mingw32-ar cru .libs/libdlltest.a  .libs/dlltest.o
libtool: link: i686-w64-mingw32-ranlib .libs/libdlltest.a
libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "libdlltest.la" && ln -s
"../libdlltest.la" "libdlltest.la" )

NB> If libtool is creating static libraries by default when configured with
NB> --disable-static, then that certainly seems like a libtool bug.

 I'm glad we agree about this, I was seriously starting to doubt my sanity.

NB> I just tested it, and the option works as expected for me.  Can you
NB> provide a test case?

 Done in another message.

NB> Note that it is still possible to explicitly request static libraries:
NB> the -static option to libtool will supersede the configure option (as
NB> documented).

 This is not a problem and I don't use this option anyhow.

 Regards,
VZ