Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:38:48 +0100

On 2016-02-12 21:59, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> Peter Rosin writes:
>> On 2016-02-11 00:38, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>> It indicates that the build configuration has agreed to supply any
>>> additional dependency libraries if there otherwise would be undefined
>>> symbols.
>>
>> Well said, I would also like to add that libtool -no-undefined *does* *not*
>> imply ld --no-undefined.
>
>  This is, of course, a bug. I don't even know if it's worth continuing to
> argue because I don't have anything new to add to what I had already
> written and it is IMO quite obvious to any user of libtool that it should
> imply it, yet most people here seem to consider it as a feature.

The feature here is to not break packages. Changing libtool -no-undefined
to imply ld --no-undefined -- at this point -- is not an option IMHO.

Also, libtool added -no-undefined before ld added --no-undefined, so some
might argue that you are barking up the wrong tree if you think things
are inconsistent. Not that shifting blame is going solve anything...

Cheers,
Peter