Preserve ordering of GNU ld library grouping flags

From: Thomas Jahns
Subject: Preserve ordering of GNU ld library grouping flags
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:41:18 +0100

Hello,

I noticed that libtool unfortunately puts -Wl,--start-group -Wl,--end-group and their short-hands -Wl,-( and -Wl,-) into an early position in the argument list of the link command instead of the libraries they are meant to go with, i.e. as originally specified.

Having libraries with cyclic dependencies is nothing I advocate for, but I think projects using libtool should be able to support it in their dependencies if necessary for external reasons.

So I had a look at what ltmain.sh does and figured out what special handling was needed. The corresponding patch is quite simple and straigh-forward. So I hope it can be included with an upcoming release.

The attached patch is vs. the master branch of
git://git.savannah.gnu.org/libtool.git at commit 08c5524fb24b923ad91c2bdca836f1eafa56fd6c
which I hope is the correct place to use.

Regards, Thomas