What happened to libtool transitive DSOs?

From: John Calcote
Subject: What happened to libtool transitive DSOs?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 02:57:40 -0600

One of the coolest features (I thought) of libtool was it's ability to allow specification of only the .la files directly required by a library or program when linking.

I had code that used libtool 2.2 a while back that worked fine this way. A program P required library A.la, which itself required library B.la. I only had to add A.la to the LDADD variable in my Makefile.am file.

After upgrading to libtool 2.4.2, I find that I now have to specify the additional secondary .la files that are listed in the primary .la files' dependency_libs property, or I get a link error indicating missing DSOs on the command line (and I can see that libtool is not adding the transitive dependencies like it used to. Why was this change made?

(Or is there something about the entire process I just don't understand?)

Thanks in advance!
John