Re: Regd. use of libtool in commercial applications

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Regd. use of libtool in commercial applications
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 12:02:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, reshmi ravindranathan wrote:

1. Please advice if there are any specific licenses for commercial
applications. Please share if any.

2. Is it possible to get some community edition of libtool

Please read the license at the top of ltmain.sh.  It includes:

# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License,
# if you distribute this file as part of a program or library that
# is built using GNU Libtool, you may include this file under the
# same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

There are also special exceptions if you use libltdl.

It is good that you are interested in complying with the license. You are responsible for reading the license text for each involved component and making sure that you follow the license.

I am not a lawyer, but it is my opinion that if you use libtool as it is intended to be used, you may use it as part of a "proprietary" application. There are usage models where this is not true.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt