Re: GCC LTO options not correctly handled

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GCC LTO options not correctly handled
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:04:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, Laurent Stacul wrote:

As I don't have the ownership on the project, I need to patch (and
provide a patch upstream). But this can be tedious on big projects, so
it would great if libtool don't filter the options like -fno-lto,
-fno-whopr.

The path of least resistance is to use the GCC -Wl, or -Wc, syntax to pass options to the linker or compiler, respectively. This already works well with Autoconf, Automake, and libtool.

Adding support to libtool to support particular GCC options is the path of greatest resistance.

Compiler and linker options tend to expand continually, and it is not reasonable to support them all.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt