Re: transitive shared library dependencies and installation

From: wferi
Subject: Re: transitive shared library dependencies and installation
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 16:28:25 +0100

Roumen Petrov <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden wrote:
>
>> I'm experimenting with the attached skeleton project on a Debian buster
>> system (autoconf 2.69-11, automake 1:1.16.1-4 and libtool 2.4.6-9):
> [SNIP]
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lb
>> libtool:   error: error: relink 'a/liba.la' with the above command before
>> installing it
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:446: install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/wferi/ha/pacemaker/translib'
>> make: *** [Makefile:798: install-am] Error 2
>
> Libtool does not change "order" :(. Automake just uses project rules.
>

> Let view Makefile.in
> install-exec-am: install-binPROGRAMS install-libLTLIBRARIES
> install-binPROGRAMS: install-libLTLIBRARIES
> install-libLTLIBRARIES: $(lib_LTLIBRARIES)
> Above dependency explain all - lib_LTLIBRARIES is project (sample)
> specific. Project should ensure order.

Fair enogh, but my point (which I didn't really emphasize) is that
installation could work in any order, if relinking didn't depend on
already installed libraries.  It's even necessary for mutually dependent
libraries.

>> and use it from liba, linking the final binary fails:
>>
>> $ make
>> [...]
>> /bin/bash ./libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -avoid-version  -o
>> translib translib.o a/liba.la
>> libtool: link: gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/translib translib.o  a/.libs/liba.so
>> -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/tmp/translib/lib
>> /usr/bin/ld: a/.libs/liba.so: undefined reference to `b2'
>>
>> As I understand it, the -rpath linker option on the above command makes
>> a/.libs/liba.so use the already installed (old) version of libb, which
>> lacks the b2 symbol.  What's the solution here?  Why isn't that -rpath
>> option "delayed" until the relinking phase?
>
> Not reproducible with FSF release.

Could you please share your link command?  Does you system use the new
dynamic tags (DT_RUNPATH instead of DT_RPATH)?
--
Thanks,
Feri