Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Q: library dependencies

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Q: library dependencies
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 19:23:58 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> ... static libraries do not technically have "dependencies" since they only
> represent a compilation step (no linking).  If a static
> library may also be built as a shared library then it may have dependencies
> and should be described as such.

I've always found this distinction ridiculously annoying. A program/project
that links perfectly
fine when its explicitly listed dependencies are shared libraries suddenly
fails to link when
you change to using -static. It's also simple to remedy - just list the
dependencies inside a
member of the archive file.

Please consider this thread and adopting the feature implemented there:
    https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2020-September/113188.html

--
  -- Howard Chu