Re: [sr #110542] Patch to libtool for solaris 11.4 link-editor which rej

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: [sr #110542] Patch to libtool for solaris 11.4 link-editor which rejects -pthread option
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 13:36:33 -0500

Wouldn't this patch break Solaris 11.3 and earlier?

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 5:24 AM Stacey Marshall <INVALID.NOREPLY@gnu.org> wrote:

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Solaris

Details:

Solaris 11.4 link-editor, ld(1), has been updated to reject options '-thread'
and '-pthread'.

Details from Oracle Bug 22985199 ld(1) should weed out invalid options -thread
and -pthread

> The GNU configuration process has been known to pass the
> options -thread and -pthread to ld(1), or to the compiler
> driver which will try and pass them to ld(1).
>
> ld(1) uses getopt(3c) processing.  The compilers take the
> options they know about and pass the others to ld(1).
>
> These options, which are specific to gcc, can result in
> silent errors:
>
> % ld -o null.so -G -thread null.o
> % elfdump -d null.so | fgrep SONAME
>     [0]  SONAME          0x5c    read
>
> The -t option is peeled off, being a valid ld(1) option,
> and the rest, '-h read' gets interpreted as an SONAME, which
> is probably not what the user expected.  If you tried to
> create an executable, you'd get an error, but it's not
> immediately obvious where the -h came from:
>
> % ld -o main -thread null.o
> ld: fatal: option '-h read' is incompatible with building \\
>     a dynamic executable
>
> With -pthread we get the same result when building a shared
> object or an executable:
>
> % ld -o null.so -G -pthread null.o
> % elfdump -d null.so | fgrep AUDIT
>      [0]  AUDIT           0x5c    thread
>
> The -p is peeled off, and its optarg used to define an auditor.
> Again, probably not what the user wanted.
>
> The Studio compilers can behave slightly differently in that
> they can affect the options passed to ld(1):  For example
>
> % cc -o null.so -G -thread null.o
>
> results in ld(1) seeing distinct options '-t -hread'.
>
> Given these are "bad" options to ld(1), it would be helpful
> to our Userland developers if ld(1) could recognize them
> rather than falling through to getopt() processing, where the
> options are mis-interpreted and "might" result in an error
> depending on the output file being produced.

The attached patch (libtool-Solaris-ld.patch) prevents '-pthread' from being
passed to ld on solaris2 hosts.

_Originally posted to_ https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34076

File Attachments:

Date: Mon 20 Sep 2021 10:24:04 AM UTC  Name: libtool-Solaris-ld.patch  Size: