Re: [Rpm-maint] How to get libb to export liba's symbols?

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: [Rpm-maint] How to get libb to export liba's symbols?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 12:10:33 +0200

Hi Florian,

On Tue, 10 May 2022 12:04:52 +0200,
Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Neal H. Walfield:
>
> > There are two major constraints.  Because rpm's OpenPGP API is public,
> > it must be preserved until the next soname bump.  And, the OpenPGP
> > backend should be pluggable.
>
> How is this plug-in mechanism supposed to work?  Via RPM configuration
> files?

It is a build-time configuration option.  When you configure rpm, you
can do:

  ./configure --with-crypto=sequoia

to get the Sequoia backend.  --with-crypto defaults to libgcrypt,
which uses the internal OpenPGP implementation with libgcrypt.  (There
is also --with-crypto=openssl, which uses the internal OpenPGP
implementation with OpenSSL.)

This is not intended for users to be able to dynamically change the
OpenPGP backend.  In practice, I would expect that a distro would
standardize on a backend.

:) Neal