Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Q: Forcing a -Wl,-rpath arg to static lib users

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Q: Forcing a -Wl,-rpath arg to static lib users
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:28:49 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022, Oleg Smolsky wrote:

The libtool provided as part of a Linux distribution often hacks
libtool so that it does not include full dependency information in the
library.la files.  They do this in order to avoid "excessive linkage"
because they do not want the program/library to retain full linkage
details in case the OS changes the libraries.

Oh, that's a very interesting hint! thanks, Bob! I am using libtoon from
the distro.

What does it take to take libtool from upstream? Certainly I can fetch its
source... but how do I marry that with the  `autoreconf` invocation that
drives build system generation?

A reasonable thing to do would be to download the autoconf, automake, and libtool tarballs from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/. Build and install each one using the same installation prefix. It is best if the installation prefix does not interfere with your operating system (the default of "/usr/local" normally works).

Relevant m4 files would appear in something like /usr/local/share/aclocal. It is possible that you might want to install some other autotools-related packages. If it is just some m4 files that you need, it may be sufficient to copy the needed file from your operating systems /usr/share/aclocal directory.

Make sure that the bin directory for those tools is in your PATH before the OS-provided tools so the new software appears by default. Then do 'autoreconf --force' in your project directory to regenerate all of the autotool stuff.

Maybe this will make a difference.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn