lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3232 in lilypond: LilyPond should use strict p

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3232 in lilypond: LilyPond should use strict proportional spacing between note columns
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:24:26 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 3232 by address@hidden: LilyPond should use strict proportional spacing between note columns

I don't think you understood my proposal, so I'll try being more explicit and then we will see whether this is a misunderstanding or not. If you _did_ understand the proposal, I can't make sense of your objection, so it is clear that either you or me should have explained his point better. I guess it's me, so I'll try again:

I was not, repeat not, suggesting to change LilyPond's manner of placing notes. What I was instead talking about was LilyPond's manner of placing non-note material _between_ notes when the non-note material was produced at musical times where no note was produced. In that particular case, it would appear that LilyPond arrives at the position to place the non-note material by more or less pretending it is attached to a zero-width note playing at the same time, and then uses non-proportional spacing to find the location for this zero-width note.

However, since the note is not actually visible, its notehead does not help for reading the timing relations between the surrounding notes, and the non-note material that has been placed in-between.

So I want the location for the non-note material chosen by first placing the note material according to the current spacing algorithm, and then finding the location for the non-note material by picking its X position _strictly_ proportional to its timing between the surrounding note material. That way, non-note material can be positioned reliably by timing it appropriately.