lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3391 in lilypond: grace notes cause Instrument

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3391 in lilypond: grace notes cause InstrumentName to disappear
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 14:47:32 +0000

Updates:
        Mergedinto: 2076

Comment #1 on issue 3391 by address@hidden: grace notes cause InstrumentName to disappear

That's hardly surprising. The instrument names are set on the first beat while staffs are instantiated 1/16 grace note earlier. If you take a look at our documentation at <URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/writing-parts>, you'll see that we _only_ use context modifications for setting instrument names. We could conceivably add explicit warnings against \set, but people reading the manual would not actually be using \set anyway, so there is no additional audience who is going to do things right with such a warning.

For anyone actually reading and following the current stable manual, no problem should be visible.

The original documentation issue had been issue 2076, and I consider it sufficiently solved. It would be debatable whether this can be called an instance of issue 34 instead, but indeed the timing that is used here would not likely change even when issue 34 was tackled in some manner.

So I am marking this as a duplicate of the already closed issue 2076.