lilypond-auto

[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3981 in lilypond: Get our act together concerning

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3981 in lilypond: Get our act together concerning snippets with incipits
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 21:53:07 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 3981 by address@hidden: Get our act together concerning snippets with incipits

At the current point of time, I see the following snippets imported into our documentation and containing incipits:

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/ancient-notation#ancient-notation-ancient-notation-template-_002d-modern-transcription-of-mensural-music>: This one uses \cadenzaOn and a host of overrides to squeeze the incipits in. This results in good horizontal and vertical alignment but far too loose spacing. A separate spacing section, possibly with different defaults, might help. Midi output will likely be generated for the incipit which is quite undesirable. There might be issues with accidentals carrying over.

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/ancient-notation#ancient-notation-incipit>: This one looks cleanest. Every incipit is typeset in a separate score markup of fixed width that needs to get specified manually. Vertical alignment is fine, artifacts escaping to Midi are not a problem but horizontal alignment between staves is non-existent.

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/ancient-notation#ancient-notation-transcription-of-ancient-music-with-incipit>: This one is worst. It fails to get vertical alignment right (basically because of a missing override) and tries fudging incipit lyrics with text scripts. Horizontal alignment of incipits is not even attempted via a common width of the individual incipits. As a result, the incipits show spacing as compact as the mensural scores would likely have when used in single voices. That seems like a defensible approach to me but I doubt it is common.

It appears to me like we should try figuring out what we want to be seeing here and then figure out a good strategy to actually arrive there.

Going through instrument names seems like a nice trick. However, I suspect that doing it really well would rather involve creating the incipit staves as one aligned score, then split up the systems and deal them up in the vertical axis groups of the staves. That way, all important alignments should arrive intact and the total space taken would not require manual intervention.

But that's an ultimate goal. First we should get the various snippets individually as best and clean as we can according to their respective designs.