lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4033 in lilypond: All subsequent clef transpos

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4033 in lilypond: All subsequent clef transpositions are marked as optional
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:29:54 +0000

Updates:
        Owner: address@hidden

Comment #1 on issue 4033 by address@hidden: All subsequent clef transpositions are marked as optional

Consider me annoyed.

This bug is introduced by the lines with the comment

               ;; the clefTranspositionStyle property is set only when
               ;; not 'default to calm display-lily-tests.scm

There has been no attempt to ever make something like \displayLilyMusic \clef "G_(15)" work. Instead there was some code added to fake around the display-lily-tests regtest showing that the setting of clefTranspositionStyle was not recognized by display-lily-music. Since clefTranspositionStyle now was, due to this "fake-a-passing-regtest" code, only set for specially styled transpositions but not otherwise reset, the style sticks.

Of course, the proper course would have been to fix display-lily-music rather than break \clef "F_15". Going to do that now. Also, I'm not overly happy over the amount of properties that \clef sets.

The purpose of our regtests is to show problems. The purpose of showing problems is not an intellectual challenge how one may hide the problems. It is fixing them.

I've seen this kind of approach before, from different authors in different circumstances. So let me remind all developers that it becomes much harder to fix a problem once it has been hidden away from the regtests.

So please think twice before curing a symptom about whether the cure addresses the underlying problem.