lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4022 in lilypond: Patch: Allow specifying diff

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4022 in lilypond: Patch: Allow specifying different alignment for grob and its parent
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:10:17 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-countdown Patch-review

Comment #18 on issue 4022 by address@hidden: Patch: Allow specifying different alignment for grob and its parent

See the proposal/discussion in <URL:https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4036#c10>, proposing separate properties parent-alignment-X and parent-alignment-Y.

After thinking about this, I am pretty convinced that we'll fare better with separate properties. The additional cost of looking up a separate property is acceptable, and it allows us to get rid of a number of different aligned/centered-on-whatever callbacks. In contrast to a number-pair, it also painlessly allows to set either of the properties to #f, reverting to coordinate 0 (the default reference point) for alignment. Having an override of self-alignment-X change only the self alignment while not touching the parent's will also retain the documented functionality of using self-alignment-X for shifting material in position, including material in different sizes. It is important to note that shifting inside of a markup using, say, \translate-scaled will _not_ have any effect (or at least no well-predictable effect) as long as self-alignment-X is not set to ##f.

So all-in-all, I think we want separate properties and independent overridability for self-alignment-X and parent-alignment-X.

The discussion on that is currently postponed for a few days to get into calmer waters. Since it would not make sense for this issue to go ahead while we have not had a chance to discuss a more suitable general approach or solution, I am putting this issue back on review for now.