lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4059 in lilypond: Documentation for issues 360

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4059 in lilypond: Documentation for issues 3601 (based on 3581), 4042 (NR: "MIDI output", Section 3.5)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 20:42:21 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 4059 by address@hidden: Documentation for issues 3601 (based on 3581), 4042 (NR: "MIDI output", Section 3.5)

I think we have to mention midiChannelMapping at the very end (or skip documenting it until we find a use for it, issue 2986) because midiChannelMapping=#'voice does not work well with with settings read by the Staff_performer, such as the newly documented pan, reverb, expression, etc.

For beginning work, each Staff is a MIDI channel.

When we need to take control of midi channels, separate \score blocks are the most clear
  \score { ... \layout{} }
  \score { ... \midi{} }
where in the \score with \layout we arrange music into \Staffs for printing,
and in the \score for \midi we arrange music into \Staffs for desired MIDI channels

Then the snippet with \new Voice \with {\consists Staff_performer} is a more-brief, but less-clear way to do the same.

And then finally midiChannelMapping automatically assigns notes to MIDI channels, and sometimes routes other MIDI settings to the intended channels as well.