lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4093 in lilypond: put NullVoice in Staff by de

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4093 in lilypond: put NullVoice in Staff by default
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 18:31:08 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 4093 by address@hidden: put NullVoice in Staff by default

Ok, here is an excerpt from scm/define-context-properties.scm:

     (melismaBusyProperties ,list? "A list of properties (symbols) to
determine whether a melisma is playing.  Setting this property will
influence how lyrics are aligned to notes.  For example, if set to
@code{'(melismaBusy beamMelismaBusy)}, only manual melismata and
manual beams are considered.  Possible values include
@code{melismaBusy}, @code{slurMelismaBusy}, @code{tieMelismaBusy}, and
@code{beamMelismaBusy}.")

Now this just cries for a melismaBusyTranslator that listens to slur, tie (and note), and beam events and sets the respective busy flags. Obviously, this translator can work perfectly fine in either Midi or Layout. Equally obviously, it does not require _any_ grob to pass by in order to do its actions.

So with that translator, we can just remove all the grob-producing engravers and have things work fine in NullVoice.

Also we get the same melismata in Midi and Layout without effort.

That's so much less fickle than trying to produce grobs that can then be almost but not quite be ignored.