Re: Placement of slurs and rests

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Placement of slurs and rests
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:11:22 +0200

For general usage questions like this that are not specific to
the 1.5.x series, I recommend the address@hidden mailing
list.

> Seems like automatic placement of slurs and rests work pretty well.
> Sometimes it would be nice to manually change the placement a bit...
>
> 1. Slurs appear first above the notes (when stems are up), then below.=20
> Q: How can I force slurs to appear occasionally below the notes first?=20
>
> Example: Tenore-voice of the attachment 'slurs.ly' would look better.

According to the tutorial, \voiceOne forces the direction of both
stems, beams, slurs and ties. If you want to set the directions
separately for different kind of objects, there are a number of
macros like \stemUp, \slurUp \tieDown and so on (also mentioned
in the tutorial). You can find the complete list in the file
where they are defined, ly/property.ly.

> 2. Rest appear nicely to their places.=20
> Q: Is it possible to move a rest vertically?=20
>
> Example: 1/8-rests belongs to the bass-voice in 'slurs.ly'. I would
>          like to indicate it by lowering the rests.

It's time for you to dive into the part of the on-line documentation
called "lilyond-internals". If you click on "Rests" you will find,
among others, a property called staff-position. For example you can
do
\property Voice.Rest \override #'staff-position  = #-2
to change the vertical position.

   /Mats