Re: blotting

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: blotting
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:53:43 +0100 (MET)

Citat Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:

> For the whole rest, the blot-diameter is very small (appr. 0.75 to 1.0
> staff line thickness.) This small blotting appears in both the convex
> corners (filling up), and concave corners.

In 20 pt staff This corresponds to the current value of blot diameter.
staff_line_thickness is .5 pt, and blot_diameter is .4 pt.

> Note that the blotting does work more or less at 600 dpi -- run
>
>   mf "\nonstopmode; mode:=ljfive; input feta20.mf;"
>   gftodvi feta20.600gf

This is very odd.
If you use ljfour instead of ljfive it does not work at all (i.e. no roundings
at all)
Does anybody have an explanation of this?

> Over here, I see a rounded corner on one side of the half
> rest. Perhaps we should add some hinting. OTOH, 600 dpi is a rather
> low resolution for really nice printing. Perhaps it's not worth the
> trouble.

Yes I think it is.
I agree that 600 dpi is too low, but on the other hand, it's what most people
use, afaik.

Well, I did some brute force testing, and found out that with blot_diameter# =
.45pt#; the corners got perfect (one pixel missing) on both ljfour and ljfive -
in 600dpi, and I hereby suggest to increases the blot_diameter to .45pt.

> by a small amount, and the bottom of our quarter rest seems too thin
> compare to others.

I agree.
But I still think that the feta-quarter rest is the most beautiful quarter rest
I have ever seen.
I have actually made a big A4 proof sheet of the quarter rest in mp, and it's
hanging in my livingroom (yes seriously, it is true).

> Perhaps another name for blot-diameter is in place. How about
> "roundness" ?

Whatever.

-Rune